Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

This NYTimes article on How to Train the Aging Brain applies to most of us in Symphony Chorus.

Does putting oneself on the line by standing up in public to perform a choral concert every six weeks, or so, meet Jack Mezirow's description of a "dis-orienting dilemma?"?

Our Beethoven and SOUL music should be here for our first rehearsal on Tuesday, January 5th.

Here's to making a difference in the New Year - through the power and beauty of choral singing!

2 comments:

Elisa Gauthreaux said...

Personally I would say that every Tuesday is more of a "disorienting dilemma" than performance night. Aside from nervous tension and trying to figure out the conductor I would not necessarily classify performance night as something that “helps you critically reflect on the assumptions you’ve acquired.” Of course that said, other than assuming that the invited conductor will follow his/her own advice and instruction and that we will sing without need for "adjustments"on any given performance night, I would say it is stimulating but learning music is much more of a challenge than reproduction.Even though I am old now, I hope to return to school, regardless of how comfortably synapsed my neurons appear to be.(:>)

Elisa Gauthreaux said...

Committing our music to memory and having some measure of self expression is where I find my "disorienting dilemma".Where is yours?